Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sad Goodbyes

Well, the time to say "goodbye" has come. I am sad in a way but I know that it has to be done.
Buck, our steer, has developed a very bad temper and has hurt one of the calves. He will meet his demise early Saturday morning. I am sad to see him go but it really needs to be done. He is getting nasty, as bulls (even though he isn't really anymore) will do. This evening at feeding time, we went out to find Norman injured. We are unsure of the exact details but, Buck was being mean when feeding time finished. Mean by head butting and attempting to slam the calves into the barn wall. Rich is afraid that he will turn on one of us next, so he has to go. Needless to say, I will miss him. He is my first steer in many years. I knew this was going to happen but, I thought I would have some more time to prepare myself for this step. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is what he was raised for, that this was his purpose for being here on the farm.
I do have one thing to console me with all of the heart ache due to mean and injured animals....I have a baby bird here that is temporarily with us. Our new little friend is a week old morning dove. The dog found him under or near the front porch...What a noisy affair that went on for such a tiny little bird! I could not find the nest or a mother anywhere close by...I couldn't let the poor thing die. I read some information online about what they eat and how to care for them. Now, I am exhausted from lack of sleep and stress out with business, personal and farm issues. Not a good combination but in the end it will all be alright.
Norman, poor little guy, is the calf that was injured this evening. Poor kid has had a rough life already and really didn't need to be hurt again. I will keep everyone updated on how he is and exactly what is wrong with him.
The other two calves seem to be alright, but by morning hours that could be very different. Hopefully, the dark will calm Buck down. If not, I will put him in the stall until Saturday morning. I hate to do it, but I will if it keeps the other animals safer.
It is already after midnight, so I am keeping this short.
I pray that God Blesses each and everyone out there that is in need tonight and even those that aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment