Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday's adventures....

Finally...the calf is doing much, much better. He was up and walking around this morning for the first time in three days. You have no idea how awesome it feels to know that even though you are exhausted from the nearly constant care and stress from worrying, he is pulling through and going to make it.

I sat here this morning, making a plan. I am trying to figure out how we can all learn to survive. My definition of survival may be a little bit different that yours. My method of survival means knowing how to survive through situations of having no power and no gasoline. I keep looking at what is going on around the world and I am beginning to think that our family needs to have a "disaster" plan in place. I am just starting to roll these ideas around in my head but I think it is something that we are going to need to do.
I keep thinking about things like...
Without electricity, how will food keep in the fridge or freezer?
How will we keep veggies as long as possible?
Where will we get water (since the water pump uses electricity)?
How will I feed the animals (just in case we have no gasoline either)?
How will we wash cloths, cook meals, and so on.....

I keep thinking back to those folks during 9/11 and during Katrina. I don't want to have to depend on the government to supply me with food, water or shelter. I want to make sure I have a plan in place, just in case....I think I know how to survive for the most part. I just wonder how we would come up with things like Ice to keep food cold. I am starting to think that I want to go back to canning stuff from the garden instead of freezing them. They would last longer and not depend on the freezer to keep. Water is always available through buckets in the pond or by digging out one of the natural springs here on the property. I could wash and rinse clothes but once store bought soap was gone...What would I use? I will have to check out how to make soap..homemade soap...now that is something I have never done.
I have been after Rich for a couple of years now to put in a veggie cellar. Maybe this is something I can work on myself. I will have to do some research on how those are built. I know that you can build them into the ground but I don't know much more than that. Hmmmm....remind me to dig into that further.
Feeding the animals can be done through grain, hay and planting corn. Guess I need to learn again how to get seeds from everything you would normally plant in the garden. Peppers are easy of course but some of the other stuff I don't remember. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a binder full of helpful information just in case....
I want to learn how to do some other things too...like making jelly. Again, something I haven't done for a really long time. I think the last time was when my grandparent's were still alive. Maybe it is time for me to start doing that again too.
Maybe what I will do is to build a whole survival guideline, with recipes and tips and hints, put it in a binder for safe keeping and share what I learn......How does that sound? That might be a good thing for me to work on while I am down with my neck and I can't do too much right now. If anyone wants me to find something specific, just comment and I will add it! Well, of to go collect up some more eggs and clean up the cow barn...
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment