Saturday, April 10, 2010

Weekend update and a Recipe

Well, after a rough night of cat napping, I am awake for the day now. Junior seems to be doing better this morning. He was struggling to get up to stand and with a little help got up and walked around wobbley-legged for about five minutes before he laid back down. That is a huge improvement over last night.
The temperature dropped enough last night to let it blow some snow throughout the night...I thought that winter was over but right now it is only 36 degrees outside. I guess this weather is suppose to last until the end of the week.

WELL ....... TODAY IS SHARE A RECIPE DAY!
I have pancakes that I absolutely love! My gramma used to make these for me when I was little (she tried to get me away from blueberry pancakes, which I still love).

Homestyle Corn Pancakes
For Extra Flavor
Pre-cook a few slices of bacon (or save some from the morning prior), cool and crumble.
Pre-cook a some sausage, drain and crumble (I used the blender for patties and links)
Pre-cut about 1/2 of a medium red pepper into finely chopped pieces(optional)
Pre-cut about 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup grated Cheddar or Jack Cheese (optional, I do not use)
Additional choices for additives to the batter are diced green chilies and/or corn kernals.

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use the non-iodized plain salt)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg, well beaten (I substitute with 2 tablespoons olive oil due to an egg allergy)
1/4 cup melted butter (I substitute with a heart health version due to a milk allergy, same amount)
1/2 cup milk (I subsititute with soy or rice milk, same amount)


Place cornmeal into a mixing bowl, pour over hot water stirring briskly until well blended. Add flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, beaten egg, butter and milk. Beat until well mixed. Add in bacon bits, sausage, pepper, onion or other additions, mixing gently.
Heat the griddle over medium heat, use a slightly lower heat than you use for traditional pancakes (the batter is thin and will burn easily). Coat the griddle with grease (I use butter flavored Pam). Using a normal spoon or small ladle, add mixture to griddle, cooking until bubbles break on the top of cakes, then flip them. Cook second side until slightly burn. Serve hot with Maple Syrup.

This is a Sunday tradition in our house now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! Happy cooking!
I hope that everyone has a great weekend! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment