Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cooler Breezes

I sit here listening to the TV and doing a little research on "old homestead" living. There are so many things that I have learned today.

Like how useful those pesky dandelions actually are! Right now, sitting on the stove, is a pot full of flowers that have slowly been brought to a boil and are now "resting" until morning. Then I will add the rest of the ingredients and hopefully by tomorrow night, have a couple jars of Dandelion Syrup on hand! Yes, that's right...I did say Dandelion Syrup. I found a recipe for it today on a website about old fashioned living.

I remember eating dandelion greens in salad when I was little. The are close to spinach in flavor, but the key is to pull them root and all before they flower. I also discovered that you leave the roots on until you are ready to prep the salad, but you don't through the root away....You can roast them and grind them as a replacement for coffee! Oh, and with as much coffee as I drink, you can bet your last dollar that I will be trying this! I will have to keep you updated on how all of this turns out. Tomorrow, (weather pending) I will be picking a whole mess more of the flowers to make dandelion wine, which is definately one of my favorite things to sip on a hot summer night.

Rich tilled the ground up for one of the garden today, which I discovered changed in area from year to year (the less he takes care of the smaller it gets). Tomorrow, we will be tilling the yard garden for the herbs and small plants, to keep the chickens out of them. We bought most of the seeds already, including a few more today. He will get the tilling done and then we will get everything planted and then it is on to harvesting the horseradish.

Hopefully, the weather will be cooler tomorrow too. I want to make up a batch of homemade pasta for dinner tomorrow. Since, we are going to be fixing fish that the "boys" caught yesterday. I am also going to make a new recipe that was shared by a friend. It is called Baked Potato Salad. It sounds delicious and I can't wait to fix some to try.

Well, my show is almost over. It has been great to watch and listen to the history of our great country! It is just another reminder that no matter how hard or difficult things get, we can make it....as long as we stay strong in our hearts and learn how to survive.

Good Night and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment